The Pontifical Institute for Arabic and Islamic Studies (PISAI) is a recognized Higher Education Institution of the Holy See and it has the right to award academic degrees under the authority of the same Holy See which is a full member of the Bologna Process/European Higher Education Area since 19 September 2003.
The programs of study of the PISAI follow the qualifications framework of the Holy See (www.education.va) and are regularly evaluated by AVEPRO*, which gained full membership in ENQA* 2014.
* AVEPRO Holy See’s Agency for the Evaluation and Promotion of Quality in Ecclesiastical Universities and Faculties (www.avepro.va)
* ENQA European Association for Quality Assurance in Higher Education (www.enqa.eu
1. Licentiate in Arabic and Islamic Studies (Bologna Second cycle - EQF* level 7): awarded at the end of the 2nd Year of Licentiate studies.
2. Doctorate in Arabic and Islamic Studies (Bologna Third cycle - EQF* level 8): requires a minimum of three years to complete.
* EQF: European Qualifications Framework
Certificates in Islamic Studies (Levels I and II): awarded respectively after completion of the courses in Islamic Studies of the Introductory Year and the 1st Year of the Licentiate.
Diploma of Introduction to Arabic and Islamic Studies: awarded at the end of the Introductory Year.
Diploma in Arabic and Islamic Studies: awarded at the end of the 1st Year of the Licentiate.
Registration must be completed before the beginning of the academic year by all students and for each year of study. Exceptions to this rule may be considered occasionally for individuals on receipt of a written request from the candidate. The Licentiate programme must be completed within a maximum period of seven years after first registering for courses.
Requirements for registration
• registration form (available from the Secretary or download here)
• 2 recent passport photos
• photocopy of a valid identity document and of Italian tax code (codice fiscale)
• certification of academic qualifications already obtained*
• certification of Italian language (for non-native speakers)
• letter of introduction from an ecclesiastical authority (clerics and religious, from their ecclesiastical superior; lay persons, from their Parish priestor another ecclesiastical authority indicated by the Dean of Studies)
* Photocopies will be accepted only if they are certified or accompanied by the original document
Due to Covid-19 emergency some Pontifical Universities have scheduled intensive online Italian courses for 2020:
Categories of students
• regular: those seeking to receive the academic qualifications of Licentiate, Doctorate or Diploma of Introduction to Arabic and Islamic Studies
• special: those following one or a number of courses and presenting themselves for the corresponding exams, with the possibility of requesting the credits/ETCS for those courses and receiving the Certificates in Islamic Studies
• auditing students: those who enrol for individual courses or seminars and, without taking exams, are entitled to a certificate of attendance (students may not attend sing Arabic language courses).
Registration in other faculties
Regular students may not enrol as regular students in another faculty. They may, however, attend courses in other faculties with permission from the respective academic authorities providing there is no clash with courses at PISAI, attendance at which is obligatory.
Full time tuition
Introductory Year € 3000
1st Year Licentiate € 3000
2nd Year Licentiate € 3000
Part time tuition (Islamic Studies)
Islamic Studies – Level 1 € 1000
Islamic Studies – Level 2 € 1000
Islamic Studies – Level 3 € 2000
Pending thesis defence* € 1000
* This annual fee must be paid by students of the Licentiate cycle who, having completed all the required courses and exams, must defend their Licentiate thesis at a date after the completion of the final examinations.
Presentation of topic € 500
Annual registration € 1000
Presentation of thesis € 500
Defence € 500
Licentiate € 100 (22% VAT inclusive)
Doctorate € 250 (22% VAT inclusive)
Candidates intending to register as regular students in the Licentiate programme must have completed the Baccalaureate in Theology or an equivalent qualification (Bologna First cycle, EQF level 6)
For the normal running of the programme of studies, whether in the Arabic language or in Islamic Studies, students should have prior knowledge in the following areas:
• A good or very good knowledge (Level C1/C2) of one of these two languages: English and Italian.
• A basic/fair knowledge (Level A2/B1) of the other language, at a level which enables students to follow lessons without too much effort.
This basic requirement, especially regarding Italian, is in line with the requirements of the Pontifical Roman Universities. Although knowledge of French is not a mandatory requirement, it will be highly considered in view of admission.
RECOGNITION OF COURSES
The PISAI can recognize courses taken in other Institutions of Higher Education as long as they are comparable in content and length to courses offered by PISAI. Students applying for credit must present adequate evidence to support their application. Prior knowledge of Arabic language is to be verified by an examination taken at PISAI.
A seguito delle disposizioni del Governo italiano, aggiornate con decreto legge del 6 agosto 2021, n. 111, a partire dal 1° settembre 2021, per accedere al PISAI (aule, segreteria, sala consultazione), per tutti gli studenti, i docenti, il personale non docente e quanti prenderanno parte a convegni o eventi, sarà obbligatorio mostrare la certificazione – GREEN PASS – comprovante:
• l’avvenuta vaccinazione contro il COVID-19;
• l’avvenuta guarigione dall’infezione da COVID-19;
• il risultato negativo di un test molecolare o antigenico rapido fatto nelle precedenti 48 ore.
Si mantengono in vigore le misure di prevenzione già in atto:
• l’utilizzo dei dispositivi di protezione delle vie respiratorie;
• la raccomandazione di mantenere una distanza di sicurezza interpersonale di almeno un metro;
• il divieto di accedere o permanere nei locali del PISAI a chi abbia una temperatura corporea superiore ai 37,5º.
A tutti si ricorda che il pieno rispetto di queste misure potrà garantire il regolare svolgimento di tutte le attività accademiche e il necessario funzionamento dei servizi dell’Istituto.
• I soggetti esenti dalla campagna vaccinale, sulla base dei criteri definiti con Circolare del Ministero della Salute della Repubblica Italiana, dovranno esibire al personale addetto la relativa certificazione di esenzione al momento dell’ingresso al PISAI.
• Gli studenti dei Paesi dell’Unione Europea dovranno esibire il Green Pass rilasciato dai singoli Stati di residenza.
• Gli studenti provenienti da Paesi non dell’Unione Europea dovranno portare con sé la documentazione disponibile rilasciata nel proprio Paese e provvedere a quanto richiesto dalle norme internazionali.